Day in a Life - January 2018

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Some updates since I last did a Day in a Life post (over a year ago!):

  • We now have 3 kids (5, 3, and 3 months)
  • We live in Minnesota, not California
  • We're legit homeschooling (so I have an actual syllabus to follow)
Beyond that, we're still just doing our thing! 
Fun trivia about this blog: I have always done "Day in a Life" on a Monday. So why stop now? Here's what a Monday looks like nowadays.



7:00am - I accidentally slept in so I get woken up by 3 year old Therese, "Mama, I comin'a snuggle you!" Take my temp while she works on climbing under the covers.

7:10 - Matt has gotten breakfast together and I pray with big kids while Matt changes the baby. #AwesomeHusbandAward

7:20 - Send big kids upstairs to get dressed and I clean up from breakfast. Pour myself coffee in a thermos so I have a prayer of drinking it hot (Or warm. Warm is fine.)

7:30 - Get myself dressed and check that big kids are actually putting clothes on. Unsuccessfully try and entertain baby on the bed at the same time, let 5 year old John take over for a few minutes. Matt puts load of diaper laundry in for pre-wash.

7:40 - Back downstairs with baby for morning feed. I say my rosary quietly to myself over her head. Let big kids watch a "learning show" before school starts. We're on Monastery Farm. Important skills are covered like how to bring in a pea harvest.

7:50 - Switch diaper laundry to wash.

8:00 - School time! Baby did not fall asleep with her milk so I put her in the Ergo and teach standing up.

This is what my school table looks like most days.

8:15 - Through with the morning basket parts of school (Therese joins us for John's Bible reading, Poetry, Art, and Music part of the day). Set John up with Math and Therese with her Little Lambs lesson.

8:20 - Baby asleep in carrier! Set John Handwriting practice and take advantage of the lull to request our library books for next week.

8:45 - School done! Switch the laundry to the dryer. Kids have free time. John goes outside and Therese does art. I attend to the baby and get dinner in the crockpot.

9:30 - Crockpot set. Have a little time to work on a blog post I'm writing.

Most of my life is brought to you by babywearing.

9:45 - Almost done with the post. Kids get some Daniel Tiger time.

10:00 - Post done! Social media that right quick and send the kids to gather library books from the far corners of the house.

10:15 - Load up for the library!

11:00- Home from the library. The baby fell asleep on the way home, so I put her in a quiet room. I get lunch for the kids. John gets the clean diaper laundry upstairs and I go put it away while the kids eat.

Such a rewarding task! Very little folding involved and minimal sorting.

11:10 - Heat up my lunch while I load the dishwasher. Then food time!
They get a little deep after a library visit: "I am not doing what you are doing. I am doing what I am doing. But we are both eating."

11:20 - Reading time

Guess which kid picked what....
11:45 - Baby is up and time to do pre-nap clean up.

12:00 - Nap time!

12:30 - Ok, baby is WIDE AWAKE! Cuddle the whole time we will.

What big eyes you have!

1:00 - Except the big kids are howling (literally). Our nap time rule is "You don't have to sleep, but you can't be loud or destructive." Everyone gets strong instructions to pull it together until 2.

2:00 - Baby's eyes pop open right at 2. I'll take it. John is up so he gets to have snack. I let the baby play in her exersaucer while I put the kettle on, and try to finish the last few pages of my book.



2:45 - Not quite finished with the book but very close! Time to reset baby. Hoping I can get the dishwasher loaded before I have to wake up Therese (who seems to have decided she was sleepy after all - howling incident not withstanding.)

3:45 - Therese is finally up! Not enough time for the Y this afternoon, but it's above freezing (hallelujah!) so off for a walk to the park.

It feels so nice to be outside when it's not so cold your face hurts.
4:30 - Home from park. Time to finish getting dinner ready.

5:00 - Dinner!

5:45 - Therese has selected my outfit and deemed it worthy. I'm out the door to the theater.

6:15 - Nice and early for class. It's my first day of vocal training and this theater is HUGE. Getting lost is a real concern.

So excited just to spend time here!
6:30 - Class starts

8:00 - Done!

8:30 - Back home. Get to hang out with the husband and catch up on the day.

9:45 - Decide I should set the crockpot to replace the last of the chicken stock I used up making dinner.

10:00 - Crockpot set. Off to get ready for bed and do some reading.

11:00 - Actually going to sleep now.

1 comment :

  1. I’m new to the “morning basket” idea, and don’t know if you’ve written about it before - does it seriously only take 5 minutes every morning?! If so, what do you do to ensure it is that “quick”? I’m sure I have homeschooling friends I can share that with!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS