Maybe Don't Diet for Lent

Wednesday, February 27, 2019



Lent is coming in a matter of days (days!). Which  means "What are you giving up?" is the Catholic conversation starter of choice.

In the past few years I've seen a progression from giving up soda, desserts, or alcohol to giving up whole food groups or taking on highly restrictive diets. While not necessarily a bad practice, and comes with the territory if you are an Eastern rite Catholic, I wonder if this is becoming popular for non-spiritually fruitful reasons.

Often I've heard the argument that using fad restrictive diets is an easy way to challenge yourself and to get information about your body. While Whole 30, Keto, Paleo and whatever else is the hip way to eat in a year from now, may hit the criteria of challenging your food choices, I'm not sure they are useful as a Lenten practice.
Here are some questions to ask yourself before choosing a restrictive diet as your Lenten discipline.

If you're brutally honest, why you want to do this?

It's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking Lent will work like a magic spell. Everything you touch in the name of Lent will work out because it's a holy time! When we think like this, we forget that we are still ourselves. We still come into Lent with our personalities, baggage, struggles, and state of life.

Is your relationship to food something that has been difficult for you for a while?
Do you believe the foods you are cutting out via the diet are "bad" foods?
Did you pick this diet because it's popular in your friend group?

These are all questions that deserve some thought before embarking on this Lent!

Have you struggled with "failing" Lents before?

Do you tend to set your Lenten bar high, and go into deep disappointment when you slip up? Has that happened over and over?

Even though the fasting and abstinence traditions in the Eastern rites look incredibly demanding (and are demanding) that bar is more of a aspiration than it is a base level. Perhaps give yourself some grace this Lent and choose to set your bar high and work up to it. Or make small conscientious choices throughout the day instead of cutting food groups out wholesale.

Consider the weight your mortification will place on others

Perhaps you don't mind subsisting on veggies exclusively, cutting out all added sugars, or having limited protein sources - but is that true for your spouse? Is it reasonable to plan on making multiple dinners? Are your choices going to make it difficult to participate in community events? Thinking about the impact your choices have on others is a big part of being true Church.

Think beyond the food box

Maybe what you seek to rectify is not really about food. Perhaps you are struggling with self-discipline. Or simplicity. Or generosity.

Many of us grew up giving up a food something as a Lenten discipline, and still think of food restrictions as The Way to Lent. But I would like to challenge you to a little more honesty and awareness of your own struggles. Name the underlying struggle you are trying to address.

Last year I realized partway through Lent that I was struggling with procrastination. It didn't look like it, I'm very much a type A over-doer, but I was procrastinating never the less.
Phone calls would get carried over on my to do list for weeks.
Prayer time was something I would get to "later".
I would avoid rest by finding just one more chore to do.
Choosing to be aware of my underlying struggle made for a fruitful Lent that didn't leave me feeling like a failure for my slip ups!

Have you ever done a restrictive diet for Lent? What were your reasons? Did it make for a fruitful Lent? What did you learn?

4 comments :

  1. Well as an Orthodox Christian, yup, I have done a restrictive diet for Lent, every year ;-) Something that I have struggled with (and I know others who have too) is remembering WHY we do it, and it's NOT because it's a diet. A priest once reminded me that looking at Lent as giving up something is only part of the picture - what are we increasing? The focus should be more on increasing our spiritual lives, and remembering the what you might think of as the Lenten Triangle (not an official Orthodox term, btw), of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to try Emily Stimpson Chapman's book "The Catholic Table". It examines gluttony, fasting, food as symbol, food as sacraments, and food tying into theology of the body. It's a very accessible book.

      Delete
  2. Ha--I've thought along similar lines, but along the lines of, "So you're about to throw in the towel on your New Year's Resolution? Shore it up again for Lent!" Yeah . . . not exactly the point. Unless it is.

    As Lent is a time of penitence, I've always thought it funny that while I've lived in Mexico and hung out in Catholic blogger circles that everyone is kind of "woo-hoo! We get to Lent again!" For the longest time, I thought everyone else was missing the point. But lately, I realized I've maybe been missing the point. When we look at the daily readings in Lent, they're all about growing closer to God, renewing one's relationship with God, and starting anew. Those are all awesome things, something worth "woo-hooing" about.

    Sorry for that random train-of-thought. Sometimes I think out loud here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who has been convinced that there's wisdom in fasting, I think we should fadf but make sure we understand why. But if you find you are hangry and imposing your diet on other people, stop! I plan on no sweets and simplifying my breakfast--that affects only me. I also have to be mindful of my 6 month old nursing baby. So on traditional one full meal, two partial meals days, I plan on eating 3 full meals of unseasoned,cold beans with nothing else. It will give me calories but no pleasure.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS