So Why Don't You Have a Library Card?

Tuesday, July 30, 2019


I have been shocked to learn how many adults in my community don't have a library card. There is this odd assumption that libraries are great when you're a kid, but there's not much to offer to the busy adult.

Besides the fact that I think reading is an absolutely necessary part of exercising our gift of mind, libraries have grown well beyond the place that holds some books.

Here is just a sampling of the unconventional ways my own library system benefits adults.

1 Databases galore

JSTOR is back in my life, y'all! Many libraries subscribe to databases and online resources that are a hidden gold mine. Our library system includes databases of professional dance performances, the National Geographic library back to 1888, and Theater in Video.

2 Museum and performance passes

Free or heavily discounted passes to museums and performances are becoming a more common library offering. We've been to the California Academy of Sciences, Lawrence Hall of Science, and Oakland Museum of California for free when we lived in the Bay Area. Our library in Minnesota includes passes to local theaters, symphony, nature sites, and museums. These are often for 2 people so you can bring a friend!

3 Scripts and scores

Sorting for Printed Music gives me over 50,000 music scores in my immediate county library system alone. They're not just musicals and classical pieces - Pink Floyd, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons, and Fleetwood Mac are in there too. Practicing your instrument (or learning one) just got a lot more appealing.
Scripts are a common find too. They include play scripts, screen plays, and radio plays. No need to wait for your local theaters to finally put on a play you've been wanting to see! Yes, it's not the same as a staged version, but reading plays is another wonderful way to tap into the legacy of storytelling.

4 Craft classes

I can learn a lot from YouTube, but Youtube can't look at my work, troubleshoot it, and give me the materials - all for free. In the past year I've learned needle felting and crochet via free library craft classes. Jewelry making, ribbon embroidery, and weaving in the round are other classes I've seen.
Many libraries offer knitting clubs, crafternoon (yes that's a real thing), and other gatherings where you can work and learn from others.

5 Audio books

When I'm in heavy audition seasons and driving alllll the time, free audio books from the library are my jam. My library uses the Libby app. From there I can browse, check out, and return all from my phone. If I happen to hate the voice of the reader, or am just not into the book, I don't feel bad for returning it early. It was free!

6 Historic Documents and records

History resources at the library are not just for genealogists anymore (though there are still a lot of offerings for family history research.) I was able to download a high resolution map showing my house from 1874 directly from the library website. Historic photography collections are available there. Many local historic societies are digitizing their collections, and making them available to the library.
My favorite odd history find is the collection of historic menus. Hundreds of menus from local restaurants dating from 1880s to the 1970s. In theory I could re-create the Christmas menu of the Curtis Hotel from 1933. Knowledge is power.

7 Book club kits

Maybe you want to try out a book club, but don't know what to pick, write questions, or commit to everyone buying a book. The library has your back! Many offer book club kits. These are a set of 8-10 copies of a single title that check out for 6 weeks. Most come with questions and other resources for your group. Having a neighborhood book club has never been easier.


Resources that I have seen in other libraries include: puzzle exchange, author talks, and 3D printer access. Libraries have grown well beyond book browsing and toddler storytime.

What's something cool that your library offers? Do you have a library card yet? Why or why not?

**************
You might also enjoy




1 comment :

  1. Yes! To all of this! I have an inordinate amount of love for the public library system, and I am continually shocked at how many people don't go for various reasons. I love the idea of a library offering museum and performance passes; to my knowledge our library does not do that, but they do offer tons of educational resources (for adults and kids) that I may take advantage of someday. One of my friends knows of a library in another state that lends out cool baking pans, which I think is a BRILLIANT idea. That way, if you want to make a cake using a star-shaped pan, you don't have to buy one for just one occasion-you can simply check it out from the library!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS