When It's Time to Dance

Friday, November 13, 2015

Linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum for another round of 7 Quick Takes!

Once upon a time I did a lot of dance. I started when I was four. I quit my dance school before I entered high school, but I promptly joined up on the ballet-modern team once I got there.

I took one dance class in college, but have really let it slide since.

Up until this summer, I had not danced in public since our wedding. OUR WEDDING. We're not talking performance here, we are talking simple freestyle dancing.

Back in 2011, when I led a guy around the dance floor.

So I got brave and found a studio, ordered dance stuff from the old reliable Discount Dance Supply, and showed up at my first class.

1

When you dance ballet as a kid, and even as a teenager, there are strict rules about what you can wear in class. Ours was: black leotard, pink tights, pink shoes, MAYBE a black dance skirt (but it was very specific about which one. No fun flourishes allowed.)

2

In my act of adult rebellion, I ordered a PURPLE leotard and grey skirt (gasp!) I still couldn't let go of the pink tights and pink shoes thing. 
Can't get too crazy now.
Definitely not me! But this is the stock photo so you can see the color on this thing.

3

The one big rule that we even have to follow in the laid back adult classes is the one about hair. 
Up and back! If it can be in a bun, than it should be.

But I have rather rebellious hair.

It took: 10 hair pins, 9 bobby pins, 1 hair elastic, 1 hair net, and a lot of hair spray.

To achieve a bun that would not fall out. The struggles of thick hair!

4


Suddenly, we're ready! I can't tell you how surreal it was to be in a dance dressing room again.

5

This studio is in the annex of a theater built c.1910. Which means ceilings are on the low side, the wood is dark, and the floors are creaky.

It was awesome.

6

I had some clear problem areas, and I knew I would after a break like that. 
My ankles are weak, turnout is pretty sad, I need to refresh my ballet vocab, and holy cow did I lose leg strength! 

I can say that I did not do a single combination perfectly. Not. A. Single. One.
But I went for every one of them. Even going in the first group across the floor over and over. Because I'm tenacious like that.

7

I have had some nice dance teachers in the past, but I think this one might win the award for nice, welcoming, and yet challenging. Looking forward to working with her more!

The other students were very sweet. This is the first time I have been able to blend into a class and not immediately see the cliques and competition. Perhaps they are there, or maybe they show up closer to showcase time, but right now they all seem like they are here because they genuinely love dance and don't want to stop just because they did not become professionals.

I get that.



4 comments :

  1. Good for you for getting back into it! I hope you enjoy the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Katie said :) I should probably do that with singing... Or piano... Or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Katie said :) I should probably do that with singing... Or piano... Or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try a dance class but have zero coordination. I'm super impressed with your ability to get back into the swing of it! I hope it continues to go well!
    Peace, Sarah
    simplysarahs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS