Amelia Hill House is now a Home!

Friday, May 18, 2018

As of last Saturday, we are officially the residents of Amelia Hill House!
I've been meaning to put a house update on here, so here's a peak at what some of it looks like with furniture. 
Note most of what you don't see if probably covered in boxes and packing paper.
And some of what you will see is covered in boxes and packing paper...

1


I adore our dining room! While it's a little annoying to carry food from the kitchen and through the living room, it's much more enjoyable to eat a meal and NOT see all the dishes and things that need doing in the kitchen.

The view ain't bad either.


2


I could easily see the library being one of our longest term projects currently in the house. I have yet to unpack any of the book boxes, but I did fill up that laundry baskets with library books so there's that.


When we were moving in the narrow stairs proved to be a challenge. Most of the bedroom furniture managed to squeeze up there some how except for this piece. Matt's dresser. So it's living in the library. It's a little odd but with Jack and Jill entrance to the downstairs bath from the library and the kitchen, it might work ok. For now.

3

But everyone loves the downstairs shower!


We thought back to everything we've loved about different showers in hotels, and picked those things. They were good choices!
It's the one room in the house that is completely updated, and it was worth it.



Long term items to find for this are some sort of storage, an actual towel rack (because that's my quilt rack), and a cool mirror for above the sink.

4


Having a front porch was important to me in a house. But this is Minnesota, so a 3 season screened in porch is going to do nicely.
Matt found some wicker furniture on Craigslist, and I love them! 

At some point they were painted, and I'm mostly sure it's a close match to the shade of green we used for the kitchen cabinets.
5

I haven't gotten around to doing much with the guest house yet, but I wanted to show a little bit of it's cute little kitchen!


The guest house was put into it's current form in the 1950s, and this kitchen is all original vintage stuff - in excellent condition due to being so lightly used.


6

This house has an abundance of outdoor living areas! In addition to the porch we have:

The stone patio


Wouldn't this look cute with that globe lights strung across?!

And the wood patio!


I still need to put the kid's slide back together, but I think this will be a sweet spot for summer dinners. Lots of potentially flowering shrubs growing all around it, but no idea what they might be yet!

7

So I was playing with Felicity on the floor of the nursery yesterday and I noticed a very loose corner of wall paper under the window. Now in our previous rental houses I would have had to hold in my curiosity, but NOT ANYMORE! I embraced my home ownership, and found this cute vintage wallpaper underneath.


The current wallpaper came off extremely easily so I went ahead and took it off in the whole room. Most of the walls had significant prior damage that had been attempted to be covered up with the upholstery fabric of wallpaper, but one wall is in almost pristine condition.

I'm thinking that it's worth saving this cute little vintage survivor! Clean off the remains of the old wallpaper glue and clear coat it.

My big remaining decision is to paint the remaining walls either the same shade of white used in the background of the vintage paper or to use a shade of blue from the design.
If you want to vote, there is a poll in my instastories until tomorrow (because polls are fun!)


Linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum for 7 Quick Takes!

4 comments :

  1. That vintage wall paper is adorable!!! Too bad it's not in great condition everywhere. Your house overall has a great meant-to-be-lived-in feel. (This feel McMansions so badly lack.) It has the right amount of vintage dimensions and details paired with some nice hang-out-meant-for-fun spaces. --MariaE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have greatly benefited from previous owners who made choices like refinishing and preserving the original hardwood floors! I'm glad no one turned into a giant open concept space. That works well for a lot of people, but I love having rooms be rooms. Makes it feel like more of what I think of as "farmhouse".

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this post reminds me of when I first moved to Virginia! We are so alike, Kirby. I told my husband's friend, "It's so nice you have this wood patio." My husband looks at me and goes, "Mary, this is a deck..." #texan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! We have been living parallel lives for a while now.
      I've been trying to remember what other people call a wood patio ALL MORNING. I gave up and said wood patio like the Texan I am.
      But deck, yeah, that's what Matt calls it!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS