Perhaps I've Been "Mama"ed Out

Thursday, January 24, 2019


It's an odd world I inhabit. A world suspended between that of adults and children, workforce and home front, religious and secular. Sometimes it seems like a parallel universe - population 1.
But I can't be alone in straddling these social lines. The idea of being an engaged community member, worker, and friend, while also being a parent and spouse, is not a rare one.

So why does it feel so lonely? Why are so many of us convinced that we are alone in our experience and struggles?

I think it comes down to this: the language we use to speak to, and of, other women, and the simplistic way we think of ourselves and others.

We have "mama"ed ourselves into a hole

There's a right way to be a mother. Or at least there is a little scrap of rules for what a good mother should look like and do in many minds. It normally reads something along the lines of "makes the same choices I have made" irregardless if that is a reasonable expectation.

I saw this in what could only be called "pearl clutching" by some mothers over the second season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
I assumed the hoopla would be over the language and sexual jokes.
But no, that would be your run of the mill pearl clutching, this was a new level.
They were upset that the lead character agrees to go on tour without a pre-laid plan for her children. In fact, every night she spent out pursing comedy as a career might as well have been a personal affront to mothers everywhere. They interpreted another woman's choices, a fictional character mind you, as a method to "make fun of people who value raising children."

No matter that this was an entirely different time and place, or, ya know, fiction. There are rules and standards for what it means to be a good mother, and they just so happen to line up with my own choices, huzzah!

Because we are mama tribe! Mamas unite! Mamas-who-look-and-think-and-do-like-me-because-we-are-the-saviors-of-all!

Y'all, we can't do this and then turn around and complain about burnout and isolation. 

I can't even count how many times I have seen women exclude other women or persist in continuing unhealthy situations. I then watch those same women post sunshine and rainbows, of said situation, on social media. #blessed

This is perhaps one of the few times I think the academic phrase "complicit in their own oppression" is an accurate descriptor.
Women are the ones who have hurled  the most vitriol at me - a stranger on the internet. Women are the ones who have refused to cast me because I'm a mother. Women have made cliques and iced me out of groups I started. Yes, there are bigger factors in all of this, but I don't think they would have as much control if women would stop consenting to be weapons against other women. If women would stop weaponizing against themselves.

The truth is for every possibility automatically eliminated as a potential for another woman leaves another possibility eliminated for herself. Not out of necessity, but out of an oversimplified idea of who she is and who she can be.

There a flatness to this "mama" world. Where we call strangers on the internet "mama" as some form of false unearned intimacy. Where talk of "my mama heart" takes the place of having normal human empathy.
We miss the multi-dimensional whole person that is so desperately desired when discussing children. Children are whole persons. They get to have hopes, dreams, and aspirations. They can to be living, growing, people. Why can't their mothers?

Time to take up some space!

This isn't about being abrasive or confrontational.
It's about not apologizing for being a human being with gifts and wholeness and possibilities!
It's about seeing yourself as a person of worth that is not defined by how well your parenting choices line up with the current fads.

Don't be afraid to wear multiple hats. Sometimes I'm a mom of three at home and up to my eyeballs in constant laundry, books, and cooking. Sometimes I'm a young woman out with friends or attending a talk or performance. I can discuss books, current events, and ideas just as well as I can cooking and parenting.

I'm not doing this to check all the boxes so I can claim "not just a mom". I'm doing this because this is what it means to be honest about who I am: body, heart, mind, and soul.

I long to see more honesty from other women. I long to be more honest myself.

**********************

Related Posts





**********************

What are your thoughts on "mama"isms? How we encourage more multi-dimensional living among parents of young children? What did I leave out here?


9 comments :

  1. I've read before that part of this problem of created isolation is that we have social media groups that are so nature focused in this it makes us less likely to sell it in person groups that will force us to discuss differences and grow from them. Even if we do in person groups, we can just then go back to our online ones for affirmation when there are differences in the real life ones. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about right to me! It seems like the groups keep getting more and more focused. I find it's particularly bad among young adults and mothers. With young adults you have the 20-somethings, the 30-somethings, the singles, the engaged/dating, the newly married, the married with kids, etc. While these things change our outlook slightly, I fail to see why it's necessary to hyper-focus to such a degree! Wouldn't we all be better to share our different perspectives?

      Delete
    2. Yes! All the super niche parenting groups are too much. It's great to find people out there who understand what you are saying and facing, but in real life you have to still be with mostly different people. You have to learn to balance it out. But I think our lack of civil discourse can cause people to flee to these groups because we are so sick of saying things with disclaimers, and dealing with trolls and mobs

      Delete
  2. Ugh. Typing on phone. Sorry! Meant narrow focus, not nature. And seek out, not sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Kirby, I agree wholeheartedly to this! I have to admit that part of the reason I'm thankful for blogs and books is that certain books and blogs (like yours) have helped me see that there are countless images for what motherhood is-and I've felt comforted (also by learning about St. Zelie) because I have often felt like a misfit mother in some way when I see myself in relation to the popular "motherhood images" that I've long been surrounded by. I have found so much refreshment in caring for myself holistically, and realizing that nurturing all of my gifts and interests is an important part of who I am as a woman and as a mother.

    Part of the whole frustration for me, and this goes beyond motherhood itself, is that it seems like people no longer are capable of accepting that different adults can make different choices, have different views, and that this is OK. Granted, sometimes people do accept that others have completely different viewpoints, but they often put a chasm between themselves and that other person ("Well, that's good for them, but there is no way on Earth I would ever think the same way"). I think it would be so good and worthwhile if we could simply dialogue more often about our varying opinions and views and actually be willing to learn from each other.

    OH, and another frustration I have (sorry to keep going, but you certainly wrote about a topic which I have thoughts on haha) is that I want to get to know other ladies who I meet at the park, library, etc. but so often, they are so absorbed in their "mama world" that it almost feels like they don't know how to have conversations with other adults about Big Topics anymore. I think cultural trends have contributed to this a lot, and I just think it's really sad that so many women find their only identity in being a "babywearing mama bear."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a single friend who I love in part because she drags me out of my kid talk! We talk about all sorts of stuff not kid.

      Delete
    2. So much yes to all of this! I don't think it's a healthy move to wrap our identities in our small choices, like breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling, etc. Suddenly making pivots in our parenting has big consequences for community and support. It's all completely unnecessary!
      I've heard of playgroups where the moms have non-parenting topics of discussion pre-planned, just to force more intellectual engagement. I think that's brilliant!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for putting into words what has only been a vague uneasiness in my mind! There is so much truth here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Most of the time I'm writing something out to try and understand it myself.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS