On Being a Catholic Feminist

Tuesday, March 20, 2018


I am a Catholic Feminist. But that last word is really redundant.

I am a Catholic Feminist because I cannot be Catholic without being Feminist. If by Feminist it is meant that one believes in the dignity and worth of women as equal to men, than of course I am a Feminist. To be otherwise would make me a bad Catholic. Really.

The Catholic Church is the first institution that believed I am worthwhile purely because I am a human being.
In every other instance my personal worth is based on what I can offer or how I can be used.

Every. Other. Instance.

I have been asked to choose between my fertility or a career.
My health or my finances.
My intellect or my integrity.
The Catholic Church teaches that "the person represents the ultimate end of society" (CCC 1929) and that "the equality of men rests essentially on their dignity as persons and the rights that flow from it" (CCC 1935). To demand these impossible choices within our own personhood, especially as broadly as our society does, is immoral and demeaning. These demands, still, fall disproportionately on women. When it comes to calling a spade a spade, I'm still going to bet on the Catholic Church before government or society.

But there are those who say "the Church hates women" and that I cannot possibly be a woman in the Church without being "complicit in your own oppression". This assertion normally centers around just three issues: abortion, contraception, and women priests. Abortion and contraception I believe fall under the false choices (typically fertility vs. career) listed above. So let's talk about women priests for a second.

I wrote an outline of my thoughts on this matter a while ago, but here is the gist of why I think the issue of female ordination should not determine whether or not the Church respects women. I think to say that women are not respected unless any of them can be priests is about the most disrespectful thing one can say about the lay state.

Think about it. By that same token, married people are not respected in the Church. Men over 40 are not respected. The mentally ill and the uneducated are not respected. Children are not respected
The list becomes quite lengthy.

To make ordination the basis of respect means that we would have to erase all the different states present within the Church, and within life. It is true that the life of laity has not always been best cared for or nurtured, but only a fool would argue that the lay state is not important to the Church! It is from the laity that our children are born, nurtured, and educated. The laity who carry out so many corporeal and spiritual works of mercy. Who are absolutely essential to the very breath of the Church.

Women in particular make up a disproportionate number of the laity that are so necessary to the life of the Church. If you have never read JPII's Letter to Women you are missing out on some of the most beautiful writing of praise for the state of womanhood.

"Thank you, every woman, for the simple fact of being a woman! Through the insight which is so much a part of your womanhood you enrich the world's understanding and help to make human relations more honest and authentic." (Letter to Women)

I am at home within the Catholic Church.

I am empowered.

I am free.

***************
This month we are talking about women in the Church on the CWBN Blog Hop. Head over to read more takes on it!




6 comments :

  1. I hadn’t heard that argument about the priesthood not being the pinnacle of importance in the Catholic Church before, and it’s helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a common assumption. The priesthood is intended to be in the service of the Church, and not the whole sum of the Church.
      Glad you found it helpful!

      Delete
  2. OHH my goodness, I almost fell over when I came across your article...You have really lifted my spirit...Thank you so much for your very helpful and reassuring article...{Think it is timely that I tell you {about 25yrs ago}that I was asked to give a talk to the Catholic Womans L. and I riled them by encouraging them as women of God, defender of children , faithful partners in marriage and LOVERS of our faith to embrace and take back the term FEMinist...They all looked away, almost as if I had sinned right there...The silence was deafening... I know we have to stand up and not let our purpose and identity be taken by those that would like to pretend that somehow because we believe in fighting for all those precious things that we must a be strange or b be less than feminine ....They are at once the same...I suppose that I spoke to soon..There is always a right time.to speak. .If not now...we may be silenced..May your voice be heard.. It may be that you were created for such a time a this.... In His Love Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear this! Women of faith have been allergic to the word feminist for too long. We have to be part of the conversation to make these definitions, instead of letting others define who we can be.

      Delete
  3. Kirby~
    Your blog is just beautiful! I'll be subscribing.....I'm missing out by not having been a regular visitor! Thank you for the insight. I totally feel as you do on this, however, you've given me even more to ponder and process...... wonderful.
    See you out there in the blogosphere:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! It's hard to keep up with my blog reading regularly too post-Google Reader (please bring it back Google!)
      Would love to hear your thoughts on the Catholic feminism topic too.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS