How Postpartum is Different the Third Time Around

Friday, June 1, 2018



My oldest turned six years old yesterday. His birth is what brought me into this parenting gig and it turned my world, and assumptions, upside down. This year we had our third baby, and I went through my third postpartum. It was DRASTICALLY different from the first time around.

1
Rest is a Requirement

I know what I need to heal now. 
With our first my husband was back to work shortly after we got home from the hospital. Now we know two weeks off is the minimum we all need to heal and get to know this little newborn. Especially if they keep pulling this 12+ labor, being born in the wee hours, after weeks of prodromal labor thing.

2
I have helpful kids

Having newborn with older kids in the house is ground breaking.
My oldest just turned 6, so he can’t babysit or anything, but he can grab my water bottle I forgot to grab off the counter. They can get diapers out of the dryer and put them away or entertain the baby is I have a minute to eat something. Small helps in the postpartum period are so meaningful  to me.

3
I know what I need to feel normal

There are particular things for each of us that make us feel normal. Those small make or break things that make a huge difference for mental and physical health.
For me it’s: getting outside, wearing real clothes, showering, getting at least 4 hour blocks of sleep, and having real conversations.
Once I acknowledged these were things I needed, I could take the steps to make them happen.

4
I’m not the only mom I know now

One of the reasons my postpartum with my first baby was so tough was because we were the first among our friends to start this parenthood adventure. There wasn’t anyone around to calibrate my expectations or to let me know what was normal.
It makes a big difference to now have other mothers I can commiserate with who are encountering and grounded.

5
I’m not afraid to say “not for me”

When it comes to parenting there is a huge range of “perfectly fine and normal”, but there is a lot of, frankly, propaganda out there meant to convince moms that there is one ideal way for x. The only way worth your while to feed your baby, hold your baby, rest, NFP method, rate of healing, etc.
With my first I bought the propaganda, and it just about crushed me. 

This doesn’t mean that whatever is being touted as “the way” doesn’t work for some people! But I not doing something wrong by deviating from that vision.

6
My marriage remains primarily important 

If there is one thing I wish I could impress on past me is that a healthy marriage can make a big difference in having a healthy postpartum. My husband is my biggest advocate. He’s the one who is with me the most, the one who will first notice when something isn’t going well.

We’ve learned how we can get our couple time with a newborn. In the early weeks, baby typically wants to continue to be part of mom so my husband and I hang out together on the couch while baby gets first sleep in my arms. When baby gets ok with transferring, we get an early evening just the two of us before baby wakes up for the late night feed.
We DO have time for each other postpartum, but we did have to decide to claim and own that time.


7
Postpartum NFP is hard

For a while there I thought I must have just selected the wrong method. But after talking with a lot of instructors and medical professionals I've decided postpartum NFP is rough for me. NFP is heavily weighted to those who are breastfeeding - which just isn't in the physical cards for me. While there are lots of methods, all of which have their own postpartum protocols, there is no one perfect postpartum method that will make everything easier automatically.

I thought surely this would be another area that got easier after the first time around, but it's not. Postpartum is a long, frustrating, and often lonely portion of NFP. I can't make it easier to practice, but I can do something about the lonely!
I think it is so important to share stories and speak to a wide variety of experiences, so this year for NFP Awareness Week I would like to focus on the postpartum NFP experience!

If you've been following this blog for a while, you might have noticed that I share real NFP users stories for NFP Awareness Week. I loved the discussion and encouragement that came out last year from sharing the stories of single women who use NFP, and it would be such a gift to see that for postpartum.

If you want to be a part of this project, or have some questions for me, shoot me an email (underthyroof at gmail dot com) or connect on social media (Facebook and Instagram because that's all the social media-ing I've got in me!)


Linking up with This Ain't the Lyceum for 7 Quick Takes.

What are your thoughts on postpartum? Do these things resonate with you? For those who have been through it before, what have you learned the subsequent time(s) around?

8 comments :

  1. Congratulations on your beautiful baby!! I'll be doing my fourth postpartum in September and found myself agreeing with every point here. My favorite thing about subsequent babies (besides having older kids to help out!) is feeling like I know what I'm doing, which translates into confidence handling the inevitable differences/surprising challenges that crop up each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Knowing how long to expect a difficult patch to last helps so much!

      Delete
  2. I was totally intrigued by your title as I am currently 29 weeks with #3. Wearing "real" clothes is so mentally uplifiting! I used to tell myself it's "easier" to stay in my Pjs...but I just felt ugly if I did that. No more! I assumed with #1 I would be a hot mess, and I was. I'm the second oldest of 8, so my expectations of parenting were pretty low to begin with, and got even lower upon discovering that babies/kids Do Not Play By Themselves. I also have to let my 3.5 year old watch more TV when than I would like until I get back into the swing of things (usually by 3 months I have higher energy, new schedule, and can walk--I tear so I can't go really anywhere for the first 2 weeks for sure. We live in Brooklyn and have no car, so if I can't walk, then I can't do much of anything. This time I'm having a summer baby, not a winter baby, so I can at least go to the park 2 blocks away a bit --MariaE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn’t have a car for the five years we lived in the Bay Area with kids, and I kind of loved it! I think my postpartum was easier with my second because she was a late summer baby so I could easily walk with the toddler and baby in the carrier to the park, farmers market, etc.

      Delete
    2. Summer babies sound easier. My energy is always higher in the summer. I have a love-hate relationship with our no-car status. Postpartum it's going to be more hate since even pushing a stroller will be hard. I'm assuming I'll tear again, though. --MariaE

      Delete
  3. My confidence by my third with babywearing meant so much; caring for the older two, and getting some outside time even in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had severe postpartum depression with my third, last year - I could barely get out of bed to shower and watch the kids for an hour or so while my husband was at school (I'm so thankful he wasn't working full time yet). The difference was that I knew it wasn't normal and I was able to get the help I needed instead of just thinking either it was part of motherhood or I was failing at motherhood. Like your list emphasized, prior experience made a huge impact in making sure things went as smoothly as possible given the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing about your experience! Baby #2 isn't due to make his appearance until late August/early September, but I've already started thinking about postpartum and things we need to change this time around. With our first child, I think one of the challenges was in our childbirth classes they mentioned postpartum but didn't really seem to focus in on how mentally and emotionally difficult it can be in general, even if one doesn't have PPD. When I found myself in the postpartum time, it was hard to vocalize my needs to my husband because I was so spent and focusing on surviving and caring for a screaming newborn!

    Going off of what you note with point #5, I think one of the harder things for me was that it seemed everyone knowledgeable about breastfeeding said you MUST feed on demand in order to nurture and soothe the baby. I just was not prepared for how physically and emotionally draining that was! I recently spoke with a couple women who exclusively breastfeed on a schedule and I talked with my midwife about it and she is extremely supportive, so I think I may give that a go this time around. I'm also pretty excited about the postpartum care this time around since I'll (hopefully, as long as there are no medical emergencies) be having a homebirth and I won't have to haul myself off to an impersonal medical office for postpartum checkups :)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS