Meet Our Little Fixer Upper - We Bought A House!

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

If you follow me on Instagram you already know, but the rest of you WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! After nearly a decade of renting, it was time. 

Meet Amelia Hill House:

Taken back in those beautiful non-winter days in Minnesota!

She's a 1901 farmhouse across the street from a lake.

The name is after St. Amelia, patroness of farmers and fishermen. Apt for a farmhouse on a lake, and goes well with our vision for this to be a productive and fruitful home.

She is a little bit of a fixer upper.
We found some fun surprises during the inspection, like the remains of mice and bat parties in the attic, that mean the whole attic needs to be re-insulated and the house rewired.
But it's also a 117 year old house, so I'm not surprised.

Depending on how you count, it's between 4 and 6 bedrooms, 2 baths.

Plus a guest house!
All the better when you have large, out of state, families.
The guest house has it's own kitchen, bath, and fireplace.


The big design reno, that we are doing before we move in are the kitchen and the downstairs bath. 

Demo has already begun!

Before

Now, so long pink tile!

Some are longer term dreams that we will probably DIY.

Like turning the upstairs newly insulated garret area into a play room/day nursery, and the odd downstairs bedroom into a library.

We're excited to be on this journey, and I'm looking forward to never moving again!
After we move again. With three kids. For the second time in a year.
But then, never again!

12 comments :

  1. This is so exciting to see!! Congratulations to you guys, and I would love to say I look forward to never moving again, too. Although, I do kind of enjoy seeing the country and what she holds in each geographic pocket.

    I love the name, and agree - the name is quite fitting, given the location! I never considered naming a house - but, we did have our current home blessed the day we closed on the home.

    Such an exciting time for you guys, and again, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to name a house, but I didn't want to do it until we owned something. I have a hard enough time leaving the places babies were born, naming a rental would just be mean to me!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, it's amazing!! So, so happy for you. Can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Hopefully your remodel goes smoothly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going so quickly! They're already on demo not scheduled until well into March.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations from this mostly quiet blog reader!
    I'm looking forward to reading more about it.
    Bon courage, as we say here, with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love to hear from my mostly quiet readers!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Me too! I'll have to do a post on all the old things that are still in the house, and might even pre-date the house. Like some of the light fixtures look more like 1890s-1880s than 1900s.

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous!!!!!! I bet it has so much old-fashioned charm. And having that guest house will be such a huge blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the charm! The current charm is found in little details. We benefit from the house not being updated very often. More character left untouched!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS